Sunday, April 15, 2012

Rhubarb season

Hope you all had a lovely weekend. While out enjoying the warm weather, I spotted some fresh rhubarb for sale. It has bright, red stalks and poisonous leaves making it the most romantic and mysterious produce product, in my opinion. I baked my annual strawberry rhubarb pie over the weekend and it tasted like spring in my mouth!

I found this simple recipe a few years ago (unknown source).

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

3 cups fresh chopped rhubarb
3 cups strawberries, halved
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour

Crumb Topping

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter
To make crumb topping: Mix flour & brown sugar together. Cut in butter
until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Roll out pie crust or use premade frozen crust. Mix fruit, sugar and flour in bowl. Pour into pie crust. Sprinkle with crumb topping. Cover edge of crust with foil. Bake 25 minutes at 375. Remove foil and bakean additional 20-30 minutes until topping is brown and filling is bubbly.

Add some homemade whipped cream and you've got the perfect dessert for a long Sunday lunch. 





No comments:

Post a Comment